3.25.2008

Polish Posters

For the last twenty-five years, I've been a collector of poster art. I've always been attracted to the immediacy, and the beauty of this particular genre of visual communication. As I began to study Graphic Design, I became a more discerning viewer, and collector.

My collection began to take on certain characteristics, and I found myself acquiring increasing numbers of polish posters from the late 1960's onward. I casually refer to this body of work as "New Surrealism", in that the imagery, often horrific, is quite bizzare, but often quite beautiful. There's a certain psychological intrigue created by these artists, as they interpret cultural works, specifically plays and operas. Most of the posters contain a primary illustration that combines two images together as one.

Below are two examples. Jan Lenica's theatre poster "Alban Berg-Wozzeck" and Stasy's poster "Art Business"





See what I mean. The longer you live with posters like these, the more you begin to discover in an emotional, or deep psychological way.

No comments: