3.27.2008

John Maeda: My Facebook Buddy

Many of you know that I teach design. I've asked my students to blog their thoughts, ideas, inspirations and any other critical thinking that they may have done. I was talking today about the nature of blogging, and the online world.

One of my students did some background research for a project about John Maeda. I happened to mention that he was one of my "Facebook friends".



In the "old world", I never would have called up John on the telephone, and said, "hey dude. i think you're an awesome designer, and thinker. would you be my friend"..or something to that extent. I would have had no opportunity or desire to initiate a one minute conversation with him.

I've never met John Maeda in the "real world" (flash back to the MTV series, season 1). I do feel that I know "about" him, and having seen his video at http://www.risd.edu/president , I have a brief sense of his personality.

We were born the same year.

I was at RISD from 1984-1988.
He's there now.

I was an undergraduate graphic design student.
He is the new President of the institution.

We were born in the same year.

I think that's wonderful.

We've had a few brief email exchanges. I've offered my support here from the left coast. I'm excited that he's leading my alma mater. Good luck to you my brother.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Hi Jimmy, I'm Yu Chen, and I'm the one that you mentioned that one of your student who did the research about John Maeda. I'm also excited to do it. Please check my blog at http://jessie-jessielin.blogspot.com. I think you have a wrong URL of my blog. I did post some idea about John Maeda.