
The diagram above is an illustration from a rant about design being an iterative process. After developing a series of sketches (A, B, C) a selection process occurs. One sketch (B) is selected for further development. The next iteration of the process occurs, as further sketches are developed (B1, B2, B3). From this iteration, or "round", another refinement is selected (B3), and developed and refined further (B3a, B3b, B3c). The entire process is repeated (B3c1, B3c2, B3c3) for as many rounds as are necessary and possible.
This process of selection, development, refinement, selection is what I refer to as an "iterative process", in that it takes multiple iterations in order to arrive at a successful, or innovative, or fully-resolved solution to a design problem.
Good design does not simply "occur", and most certainly does not happen with just a few clicks of a mouse. Quality design requires an iterative process that involves multiple revisions, decisions, and discussions. It cannot occur in a vaccum, or without the time being spent.
Okay, now I'll step off the soapbox.
J-out.

4 comments:
wait, I didn't know that you took a photo of this diagram or you just did it for another class? Anyhow, I do appreciate the "iterative process." I often would wish to see the result before I start a design. However, it always isn't the case. I remember Fellini said that the picture he made is never exactly the one that he started out to do. Somehow, the picture takes on a life of its own. It grows as one's making it. I would like to believe that is the same thing with design. We may start with a idea, and we develop it further by look at it, analyze it, break it apart, transform it, and hope that the end result will grow into a "good design." Sometimes, we may achieve it; yet, most of times, we might not arrive it. Nevertheless, the "iterative process" is a gain to designer in a long run. It is a growing process. One can never undo the growth.
It is a great process. Remember that everything takes time, and to take breaks. It helps refresh everything, so that you don't always seem to be doing the same thing over and over and just wasting time.
I've been doing the iterative process without even knowing that it had a name. But after hearing your short lecture about it in class, I started saving my files in that manner more purposefully.
You should put up more of you short points with photos and everything! (Like the difference between a prime and quotation lecture you gave today)
I do this process. I don't know why for me I always end up going back to my first ideas. I come up with many ideas and somehow the first one that comes to mind is what I go with. Many revisions later though I keep same ideas with slight changes here and there. At first I thought Iterative process was the same as many years of practicing art and design. Now I see it just a development process that helps us establish more appealing designs.
Post a Comment